Saturday, October 5, 2024

a home bar...

is a funny thing, but at the same time it can be really cool. I started mine about seven years ago (holy shit! time flies) when we decided to redo our basement. that's a whole other thing, but focusing on the bar for now. I knew what I wanted. first, I wanted a keg. that was the first thing. I also had two mini fridges to make work. I needed to make a place to make drinks. I also needed a place to keep all the bottles. oh...and can we do a sink?

these were my building blocks. so with a lot of input from my dad. a lot of framing. a lot of discussion. a lot of planning as we went on...I have my bar.

it was an awesome project. it still is, cause I don't feel like it's ever complete. with the keg in place. the other fridges in place, we built around that. we built the cabinets that would store the liquor & other bottles & glasses. we built the back of the bar that would keep the glasses & mixers. built the bar top; which has gone through a change. the glasses. the bottles. the things. where does it all go? what makes sense? I can go through every piece of this bar.

the lights inside where the bottles are. do I want bright white lights. maybe the colored changing lights? depends on mood. how to organize the bottles. oh shit...some bottles are bigger than others. where I display my tap handles. the bottle top collection. the cork collection. the Blanton's top collection. so much is going on that it reflects who I am as a drinker. as someone that enjoys the art. the aesthetics. the mood. the craft.

the knick nacks. the bits you pick up along the way. the art. the display. what to display? I pick up a sticker at every brewery I go to, & that gets put on the kegerator door. I have a collection of growlers that i've picked up along the way. all my books. somehow, recently, have become the center piece to the back bar.

to how I want to present that concept. that philosophy. the presentation. old & reclaimed, with a sense of new & straight. the concrete & pipe along side the reclaimed wood. the used & oddball bits. the nuts & bolts. that all come together in a cohesive pattern of involvement that makes sense with each other. that play well together. that keeps changing. evolving. as does everything.

namaste...


No comments:

Post a Comment